Saturday 5 December 2015

Ronnie Rocks


So last Sunday I saw Ronnie Spector in Glasgow. (My pal Jeremy Chatzky, who also plays with Laura Cantrell, was leading the band with his bass guitar.)

Great, fun, entertaining show. Among other things she performed her version of this, which I heard first heard as a wet-behind-the-ears 17 year-old (16?) Boy Hairdresser:




(Man, Paul Cook's drums...)

I don't think our attempt to cover it but we made it through two verses in rehearsal.

Another highlight from the show was this ditty (Ronnie's groin thrusts over the lines "when we're making up" was something to behold):



If you get the chance to see "Spotlight" - I suggest you grab it.  Tom McCarthy is an amazing writer/director, IMHO.



My 10-week songwriting course at Glasgow University Centre For Open Studies has come to an end  (aww). The students gave me a nice spontaneous round of applause at the end of the last class (awwww!). Some of them will be singing at a Student Showcase event at the STUC building, 333 Woodlands Road, Glasgow on Tuesday 8th Dec - £5 Entry. It all kicks off at 6.30pm. There will also be readings from some Creative Writing students and stuff. Culture an' that.

The course is back on 14th Jan 2016 for 10 x weeks. If you or someone you know fancies attending a Songwriting Workshop, here's the link (Scroll to page 46).

Thinking about that special Christmas present? Relax. Click here.

I am dipping into The Kenneth Williams Diaries. Wed 5th Dec, 1973:

"To Basil Jellicoe Hall for the Old Folks' Christmas Party. the mayor came in and said to me 'You're doing a grand job' while I was in the middle of a particularly dirty story to a lady of eighty."



I bought the new Ludovico Einaudi album. Going into a shop and buying a CD; quaint, huh?

In other news Carey Lander's Just Giving Page has now raised £78k for cancer research - look.

Besos.













No comments:

Post a Comment