Monday 21 March 2016

Farewell, Steve Young

Farewell, Steve Young.


I saw Maestro Young promoting his "Switchblades Of Love" album at King Tut's Wah Wah Hut in Glasgow in, I think, 1994. Great solo acoustic performer. I asked to interview him for a US country fanzine:



...even although I wasn't a writer and I had had no contact with the magazine other than picking up copies in Tower Records in Glasgow.

Steve gave gracious assent. In his dressing room upstairs in Tut's we talked about Hank Williams, Sun Records, Dick Gaughan's "Handful Of Earth", Otis Redding's "That's How Strong My Love Is", Steve's Latino neighbourhood of Silverlake in LA - and I'm not sure what else. The fanzine folded before they could consider (because of?) my brilliant scribblings.

A few years later I set up Spit & Polish to champion Laura Cantrell (check back for more info on that great artist soon) and other country music. I was thrilled to get to license Steve's "Primal Young" for release in the UK on S&P.

The few times I met Steve he was always a gentleman. I once took him for a pre-gig curry in the old Creme De La Creme in Finnieston and we talked about how simple acts of human kindness can be so moving. Funny what wee things pop up in your overstuffed memory bank.

Back in my BMX Bandits days we'd make compilation tapes for the tour van. I used to favour "Woman Don't Weep" from the Lonesome On'ry And Mean compilation. To my mind that track out-Lee Hazlewood-ed Lee Hazlewood. And I used to put Steve's cover of Johnny Horton's "One Woman Man" on country compilation tapes.



Oh well. Thanks for the music and the memories, Steve.

On Tuesday I went to this:



Filthy fun. I wouldn't advise taking your granny.


On Sunday I went to see this:



Great stuff - both the screening and the panel discussion afterwards. Every time Riccardo Marini spoke he got a round of applause.

I liked this article about film editor Jim Clark.

And that is all I have to say - back to writing music for a project I can't tell you about.

___________

PS - nice to be part of this appreciation of Steve Young.

No comments:

Post a Comment