Tuesday 8 May 2018

It Can't Be Love Unless It Hurts

You know Teenage Fanclub are hitting the road later this year, right?

I loved these two Spike Milligan radio docs about recordings of discussions between Spike and his biographer. In the first episode there is a brutal war anecdote. And Michael Palin's wee story about Spike trying to phone him is a gem. "I've been trying to call you for two weeks to say I thought Roger Of The Raj was great. Now I think it was bloody awful!"

Here come some film recommendations:






The Royal Television Society Scotland Awards take place soon. I worked on music for two programmes which are nominated. Keep your eyes crossed for me.

This is one of the best books I have ever picked up.


And this is powerful and raw, darting from passionate endorsements of classical music to the legacy of child abuse and more. Hard to describe but glad I read it.


Caught this on BBC i-player and calmly soaked in it like a nice warm bath. With a sprinkle of Radox. Spookily lit by a candle from Flying Tiger.



3 or 4 years ago I saw a good amateur production of Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin. Last week I saw Scottish Opera's production. Loved it. I used to think I'd be bored going to an opera, but so far so good. I've liked or loved everything I've seen by SO.

Someone from Scottish Ballet has been in touch about choreographing a performance for two dancers to one of my pieces. Exciting.

And I signed some of my music to esteemed publishers Mute Song.

Anyway. Never mind all that.

Tracyanne & Danny are touring the UK this month.


They've unleashed a new song online and it is a belter; "a beautifully composed piece of songwriting" in the words of Clash magazine:



Tickets for their shows in UK and US can be booked here.

Don't come crying to me if the gig you're thinking about going to sells out.

See you down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment